6.01.2006

 

Knoppix

Since this is my last blog I thought I would focus on the one piece of software I feel everyone should download. It, as per my tradition, is absolutely free. In-fact this software is more than free, it's open source. Open source means that the coding behind it is available to anyone who wishes to modify the computer code to change the way it runs. In fact, this piece of software isn't really software at all, but an Operating System. Yes my favorite download that I feel everyone should have is Knoppix.

Knoppix is a form of Linux. For those out there who do not know what Linux is, it does the same thing that Windows and Mac OS do. Basically it connects you, the user, to the computer, and all the goodies that actually make up the computer. It tells the computer what to compute. Linux was created by one man but since then many many people have modified the open source code for specific purposes.

Knoppix is one of the modifications to the original Linux operating system. It adds a user-interface. In Windows the user-interface is the Start Button, the Desktop, and basically everything you see that is not its own software program. But what the best part of Knoppix is, that it is an operating system that runs entirely off a CD. It will run on-top of Windows by booting to a CD. The uses: endless. I most often use it to access the internet when Windows won't start to figure out why Windows won't start.

You can learn more at:
http://www.knoppix.org/


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?